Tuscarawas Valley Schools
The Tuscarawas (Tusky) Valley School District partnered with Hammond to be the construction manager at risk for multiple campus improvements. Divided into two phases, the project included:
- A new high school surrounded by a wooded area that would accommodate grades 7-12
- Replacement of the wastewater treatment plant
- An addition and renovation to their existing middle school that would be converted to a Pre-K through sixth grade school
Tusky Valley faced several budgetary challenges throughout the course of the project, including a pandemic and inflationary-related complications. Additionally, there were site conditions that needed to be resolved. The Hammond preconstruction team helped every step of the way and provided the school district with solutions and accurate cost estimates to make informed decisions throughout the process.
A Phased Approach
This project required a phased construction approach to ensure daily operations could continue without disruption:
- In phase one, the new 7-12 school was built near the existing high school, middle school and athletic stadium. In addition, a replacement of their on-site wastewater treatment plant was needed to accommodate the new building.
- In phase two, the existing middle school required an addition and renovation to transition the building into a Pre-K through sixth grade school, which was completed while the building was operational. The master construction plan also included a new bus garage, athletic improvements, and the demolition of three existing schools.